The Castle of Marly located in the Town of Marly-le-Roi, in Yvelines department, has been built in the reign of Louis XIV. It was destroyed during the First Empire.
The Royal Pavilion is built on an esplanade. In it center, large lounge at Italian (octagonal), up almost 15 meters, is served by four vestibules that connect the spaces to the 4 corners of the pavilion, where are found the apartments of the royal family : those of the King, the Queen, Monsieur, the King's brother and his wife, Princess Palatine. The King's apartment is oriented towards the castle of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, where he was born.
Either side of the central channel, the "big mirror" are aligned two rows of six pavilions dedicated to guests, ie 12 in total which symbolize the twelve zodiacal signs turning around the supreme axe, the sun, represented by the Royal Pavilion.
In 1688, one of the pavilions is transformed into bath Pavillion in 1703 and two others are redeveloped to accommodate the famous Coronelli globes representing the earth for one and,
For reasons of economy all the buildings are painted in trompe-l'oeil under the direction of Charles Le Brun. Trophies, reliefs and pillars artificial animate the facades.
Read more... http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Marly