The Castle of La Malmaison is located in the town of Rueil-Malmaison in Haut-de-Seine department, not far of La Défense.
The castle had been bought by Madame de la Pagerie, first wife of Napoleon Bonaparte, and she was indebted herself for the occasion. But when he became consul, he erased the debt, and made interior trim by the imperial architects Percier and Fontaine. Between 1800 and 1802, Bonaparte lived between Paris and Malmaison, also number of key projects were decided in the magnificent council room, including the Legion of Honor and some articles of the Civil Code.
After her divorce, Josephine was the castle's main house. After the fall of the Empire, the castle was sold and is a philanthropist who bought to donate it to the state, and in 1906, the museum opened its doors. It evokes different periods of the life of Napoleon, and invites us into the intimacy of the couple Josephine-Bonaparte. He kept an atmosphere and authentic character, although somes rooms, was destroyed during the 1870 war, have had to be reconstructed. It comprises twelve rooms that can be visited.
The shaped conservatory military tent, testimony to the importance of military conquests under the Empire, opens into a vestibule all marble and gilding, containing statues and busts of the Emperor and her entourage. Then comes the billiards lounge and the Golden lounge, with its warm inlays and mosaics.