Great sites (outside Great Castles - such Ecouen, Fontainebleau, Chantilly, Rambouillet, etc ....) of the Ile-de-France region:
- The Castle of Ambleville.
The castle of Ambleville was built in the town of Ambleville in French Véxin,Yvelines department, the area is classified as a historic monument, it has been awarded the Outstanding Garden, awarded by the Ministry of Culture.
Built for Louis de Mornay by the architect Jean Grapple, it was built on the foundations of a feudal fortress posted on the edges of the Aubette the confines of the Île-de-France and Normandy, then English.
In 1893, the wealthy art dealer Charles Sedelmeyer bought the castle and restored at great expense by making a theater install, fireplaces and balconies decorated Venetian and Italian statues in the garden, now preserved in Villarceaux.
- The Castle of Anet.
The Castle of Anet, is a Renaissance castle located in Anet in the department of Eure-et-Loir, which was commissioned by Henry II to Diane de Poitiers.
It was built under the direction of Philibert Delorme (architect), Jean Goujon (sculptor) and Jean Cousin (painter).
Declared national property, it was sold Sept. 5, 1797. The purchaser at the mine blew up the central body and the right slice. One remains today the left wing of the castle.
- The Castle of Belesbat.
The castle of Belesbat, which already existed in 1479, was built on the commune of Boutigny sur Essonne in the heart of the forest of Fontainebleau, is known in the accounts of King Louis XI under the name "Home of the King", but the party that still subsisted was razed in 1962 by its owner, a real estate company visibly unscrupulous.
- The Castle of Beynes.
The Castle of Beynes is a Fortified castle located in the center of the town of Beynes in the department of Yvelines, France.
- XIth Century :this castle, located in the valley, which was built in the eleventh century was initially a military role in an era when the Mauldre was a line of defense of the royal domain westward, especially against the English during the hundred Years War.
- XIVth Century, Robert d'Estouteville transform the castle.
The castle is currently being renovation
- The Castle of Blandy-les-Tours.
The Castle of Blandy-les-Tours, is a medieval fortified castle located in the town of Blandy-les-Tours in the department of Seine-et-Marne, near the castle of Vaux-le-Vicomte.
Since its acquisition by the General Council of Seine-et-Marne, he has been the subject of several campaigns of restoration.
The history of the castle began in the texts in 1216. It belongs to the Viscount of Melun Adam II ("Chailly") which reduced it to a manor at pregnant irregular.
In the fourteenth century, the castle was heavily modified with new fortifications and defensive structures: a ditch is dug and a gate-tower with drawbridge at arrows is drilled in the wall of the pregnant.
- The Castle of Bourdonné.
The Castle of Bourdonné, has been built in the town of Bourdonné, in Yvelines department, in seventeenth century for Charles I of Cocherel, king's councilor and administrator of Montfort l'Amaury. It's an Edifice brick and stone surmounted by a high slate roof, it was restored in the nineteenth century. José-Maria de Heredia moved into the castle in 1901 where he was the host of the owners Mr & Mrs George Itasse that maintened with him a friendship intelligent and deep, he was to spend the last weeks of his life.
Stately home of Louis XIII style threw its pink walls in the wave of calm étangs.
- The Domain of Breteuil.
The Castle of Breteuil is a castle of the seventeenth century located in the town of Choisel (Yvelines) at 35 kilometers southwest of Paris, in the upper valley of Chevreuse.
Build on the site of the old castle (de Bevilliers or Buvilliers) place whereon stood at the time Gallo-Roman two villas. The manor is mentioned for the first time in 1142 and the first reference to a manor house dating back to 1560.
- The Castle of Chamarande.
The Castle of Chamarande is located in the French town of Chamarande is the property of the department of Essonne.
The castle is built in pure Louis XIII style, in the department of Essonne, a former province of L'Hurepoix, thirty-nine kilometers southwest of Paris.
The area has become a place, a space for contemporary art, exhibitions, shows and conferences.
- The Castle of Champlattreux.
The Castle of Champlâtreux, is a castle of the eighteenth century located in Epinay-Champlâtreux (Val d'Oise), which was the country residence of the family Molé illustrious family of Parisian parliament, and belongs to the family of Noailles from nineteenth century. The castle with all its parts and built the park was classified Historic Monument by decree of 9 March 1989.
The land was acquired Champlâtreux in 1567 by Edward Mole, president of the parliament of Paris from 1602, she stays him for his descendants.
- The Castle of Compiègne.
The Château de Compiègne is a former royal and imperial residence located in Compiègne in the Oise department (Picardie, France).
The Château de Compiègne is subject to classification as historical monuments since October 24 19 41.
Four palaces have succeeded one another at Compiègne. The oldest dates back to the beginning of the Merovingian dynasty and probably dating from the reign of Clovis. It was probably built of wood and its location is difficult to determine.
Many official documents of Compiègne are dated , which suggests that the Merovingians spend time there. It is in this "Royal palace" that Clotaire I died in 561, returning from a hunt in Saint-Jean-aux-Bois.
- The Castle of Condé.
The Castle of Condé is Located in Condé-en-Brie (department of Aisne), on the Champagne road, 100 km east of Paris, the Château de Condé is a private estate inhabited year-round.
The Castle of Condé subject of a classification as historical monuments since 18 October 1979.
At the request of Bourbon, prince of Savoie and the Marquis de La Faye, the most prestigious artists such as Watteau, Boucher Oudry realized its sumptuous decorations of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. This castle can evoke some of the history of France through figures such as the Conde, Savoie, La Fontaine, Richelieu, and of course Olympe and his 'powder' mysterious…
- The Castle of Coucy.
The Castle of Coucy has been built in the thirteenth century on a rocky outcrop overlooking the valley of the Oise and l'Ailette. It is located in the town of Coucy-le-Château-Auffrique, in the department of the Aisne to the limit of Laon and Soissons in France.
The castle was declared a historic monument since 1862 and belongs to the state.
The first mention of a castle in Coucy date 920: it is a simple mound built by Hervé, bishop of Reims.
- The Castle of Courances.
The Castle of Courances, is a castle located in the French town of Courances, in the former province of Gâtinais today Essonne in Ile-de-France, at forty-seven miles south-east Paris.
The castle is the subject of a classification as historical monuments since 27 June 1983.
Already owns the castle Fleury-en-Bière, the chancellor of Henry II, Cosme Clausse acquires Courances in 1552 for not to injure the inheritance his youngest son. we must him a big part of the current layout of the park.
- The Domain of Courson.
The Castle of Courson is located in the French town of Courson-Monteloup in the former province of Hurepoix today Essonne in the Ile-de-France, at thirty-two miles south-west of Paris.
The domain dates from the seventeenth century, period of William of Lamoignon built himself a castle surrounded by a park of classic style. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the domain passed into the hands of the Duke of Padoue, cousin of Napoleon, who asked Louis Berthault to transform the park into an English garden. Creator of many gardens including the Empress Josephine at Malmaison, he went of Courson to a park curves and falsely natural views. In 1860, the Bühler brothers - who designed the public and private parks in the whole of France - intervened in planting new trees and made digging the pond.
- The Castle of Dampierre.
The castle of Dampierre is a classic style French castle located in a valley a few steps from the valley of Chevreuse, in the town of Dampierre-en-Yvelines in Yvelines department.
It was built in the last quarter of the seventeenth century by Jules Hardouin-Mansart on the Duke of Chevreuse, Charles Honoré d'Albert, son of Colbert. It is located in a large park designed by Le Nôtre.
The castle of Dampierre, have actually stayed where kings Louis XIV and Louis XV, is the property of the family of Albert de Luynes since 1663.
- The Castle of Dourdan.
The Castle of Dourdan is a Fortified castle located in the town of Dourdan in the ancient province of Hurepoix, currently Essonne department at forty-six miles south-west of Paris.
In 10th century, Dourdan was one of the strongholds of Hugh the Great, who built a wooden castelet, located few hundred meters northwest of the current castle, where he died in 956. The construction lasted long enough for Louis VII (1120-1180), one of her residences hunting.
Between 1220 and 1222, a new castle was built at the request of Philippe Auguste to the location of the Capetian castle. Most successful castle of Philippe Auguste, he take it the same features as of Philippians castles of the time, similar to castles Angers or Gisors and to a lesser extent in Louvre.
- The Castle of Esclimont.
The Castle of Esclimont is located in the town of Saint-Symphorien in Eure-et-Loir department.
In 1543, Etienne du Ponchet, lord of Esclimont, canon of Chartres, Archbishop of Tours rebuilt the castle inspired by the style of the great mansions that his cousins were raised in the Loire Valley.
The seventeenth and eighteenth centuries were the centuries of Bullion. They did transform the castle, bringing up to date, but without shaving the corner towers, out of respect for their ancestors
- The Castle of Farcheville.
The Castle of Farcheville, located in Bouville, in Essonne department at 47 kilometers in south of Paris.
The castle of Farcheville Fortress is a plain unusual layout, and one of the most remarkable Ile-de-France. It includes in particular a large rectangular enclosure surrounded by a moat wet, flanked by corner towers and machicoulis which are carried by large arches in third point bandaged between the buttresses. In the middle of one side, the entrance opens into the rectangular dungeon, next to a house dating from the early seventeenth century.
- Castle Gaillard.
The Castle Gaillard is a ruined medieval fortress located in the heart of the Norman Vexin, 100 km from Paris in the town of Les Andelys (in Eure department). It is a piece of history of France which dominates the valley of the Seine, mixing Richard the Lion Heart and cursed kings on top of a limestone cliff. Château-Gaillard has more than 800 years. It owes its name to Richard the Lion Heart, who, seeing completed, would have said, "What this guy a castle! ".
The castle is the subject of a classification as historical monuments by the list of 1862
- The Castle of Gisors.
The Castle of Gisors is located in the Norman Vexin, is built on a feudal mound. It consists of a circular tower, which was added to an existing fortress. Essentially the work of the dukes of Normandy in the eleventh,twelfth century, the frontier fortress had to defend the Anglo-Norman against the pretensions of the king of France. The castle is the subject of a classification as historical monuments by the list of 1862.
The origins of this fortress date back to the second half of the eleventh century. A motte was built from 1097 by Robert II de Bellême, by order of the king of England William II Le Roux (1087-1100), regent of the Duchy of Normandy. This is supplemented a year later by a tower of wood, probably surrounded by a palisade. In 1113, this fortified site, overlooking the valley of the Epte, hosts a meeting between sovereign Louis VI of France and Henry I of England.
- The Castle of Grosbois.
The Castle of Grosbois is located in the Val-de-Marne in the town of Boissy-Saint-Léger.
Originally, in 1226, we find instead of Castle, a stronghold which defended the route from Paris to Switzerland. It was not until the late sixteenth century to the domain owner since 1562, Raoul Moreau, Treasurer of the Savings to build the lodge. He sold the castle in 1625 at natural son of King Charles IX and Marie Touchet, Charles de Valois, Duke of Angoulême. This brought profound changes there, giving the appearance that we know today, and he designed the park.
- The Domain of Jossigny.
The castle and the domain of Jossigny is a castle rockery style of the eighteenth century, located Jossigny in the French department of Seine-et-Marne.
The castle was built in 1753 Jossigny for Claude Francois Leconte of graviers, advise the Fifth Chamber of the Parliament of Paris Investigations by the architect Jacques Hardouin-Mansart de Sagonne (° 1711 - † 1778), the last of the illustrious dynasty of Mansart. Located 32 kilometers east of Paris and 6 kilometers south of Lagny-sur-Marne, it is one of the most perfect examples of the Treaty of Charles Etienne Briseux, The art of building houses country, published in Paris in 1743.
- The Castle of La Roche-Guyon.
The Castle of La Roche-Guyon is a French castle located in the town of La Roche-Guyon in the Val d'Oise at the gates of Normandy on the right bank of the Seine.
The old castle in ruins, dominated by its keep at the top of the hill has been an significant asset to the eighteenth century at the foot of the hill and having a vegetable garden "French", the vegetable garden of the castle of La Roche-Guyon.
- The Castle of Maintenon.
The Castle of Maintenon is located in Maintenon in Eure-et-Loir department. It is the subject of a classification as historical monuments since July 1944.
The presence of a castle Maintenon is attested since the thirteenth century. He belongs to the lineage of Amaury, the lords de Maintenon ... It remains in their possession until the sixteenth century, epoch at which time, they encounter financial difficulties that led to give up forte.La lordship is then bought by Cottereau financial Finance and steward of King Louis XII. He embellished and greatly enlarged the castle then go to his descendants.
- The Castle of Maisons.
The Castle of Maisons has been build between the Seine and the forest of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, with a facade overlooking a garden facing southwest. Located in Maisons-Laffitte, town steps from La Seine,
Originally, it comprised a garden, a small park of 33 hectares and a large park of 300 hectares. One reached it by two avenues intersecting in T before the portal of the front yard (Albine Avenue and Eglé Avenue ):
the main axis led to the forest, the transverse axis in the Seine, we was crossing by boat to Paris, crossing the village located in south-west of the castle. Three portals (apart from the forecourt) was placed
at the ends of avenues, each comprising two doors enclosing a grade-wolf device called a "ha-ha" very characteristic of the architecture of François Mansart.
- The Castle of Malmaison, or La Malmaison.
The castle had been bought by Madame de la Pagerie, first wife of Napoleon Bonaparte, and she was indebted herself for the occasion. But when he became consul, he erased the debt, and made interior trim by the imperial architects Percier and Fontaine. Between 1800 and 1802, Bonaparte lived between Paris and Malmaison, also number of key projects were decided in the magnificent council room, including the Legion of Honor and some articles of the Civil Code.
- The Castle of Marly.
The Castle of Marly located in the Town of Marly-le-Roi, in Yvelines department, has been built in the reign of Louis XIV. It was destroyed during the First Empire.
The Royal Pavilion is built on an esplanade. In it center, large lounge at Italian (octagonal), up almost 15 meters, is served by four vestibules that connect the spaces to the 4 corners of the pavilion, where are found the apartments of the royal family : those of the King, the Queen, Monsieur, the King's brother and his wife, Princess Palatine. The King's apartment is oriented towards the castle of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, where he was born.
- The Castle of Mauvières.
The Castle of Mauvières is located in Saint-Forget, in Yvelines department, not far from Chevreuse, in the middle of the Valley of Chevreuse.
The first known lord of Mauvières mentioned in 1179, is Bernard de Malverius. The fief is given Ramond de La Rivière de La Martigue in the second half of the fourteenth century, in gratitude for his help against the British to resume Bergerac. He give meadows adjacent to Mauvières the name of Bergerac.
- The Castle of Mesnil-Voisins.
The Castle of Mesnil-Voisins is a french palace located in Bouray sur Juine, in the Essonne department in the ile-de-France region, at thirty-seven kilometers of Paris.
The classification procedure is divided into three phases:
All the facades and the roofs of the castle, les two pavilions of corner as well as those adjoining building et their fence wall, are subject to classification as historical monuments since 18 December 1980.
The interior is subject to registration as a historic monument since 12 October 1994. The small park is the subject of a classification as historical monuments since 6 November 1995.
- The Castle of Meudon.
The castle of Meudon is a castle located in Meudon in the French department of Hauts-de-Seine. It was the residence of Louvois then Bishop said the Grand Dauphin. Burned in 1795 (old castle) and 1871 (New Castle), New Castle, whose demolition had been planned, is transformed into an observatory in 1876 before being attached to the Paris Observatory in 1927.
On the edge of a wooded plateau, the site offers views of the Seine and Paris. Located between Paris and Versailles, in the heart of an abundant supply of hunting, enjoying an ideal topography for large gardens, it enjoyed beautiful features from its owners.
- The Castle of Milly.
The Castle of Milly-la-Forêt is located in the French town of Milly-la-Forêt, in the ancient province of Gâtinais today the department of Essonne and the Ile-de-France, fifty-one miles southeast of Paris.
Built in the twelfth century by the lords of Milly, the castle was destroyed during the siege of the British in 1432.
At the end of the fifteenth century to 1475, owned by Admiral Louis Malet de Graville, the castle was rebuilt and magnified. What was then the dungeon became the châtelet of entry, the drawbridge was replaced by a stone bridge and a final grid closed access between the north tower defense and the governor's house. square courtyard was surrounded by a wall and had in the center a chapel dedicated to Saint Valentine.
- The Castle of Monte-Cristo.
Alexandre Dumas, in his time, lived in Saint Germain en Laye, seduced by the landscapes of along the Seine, he chose a hill
on the hillsides of Port-Marly in order to build his house. It engages an architect, and not least, Hippolyte Durand, to make him realize his dream. He wants a renaissance castle built in front of a Gothic castle surrounded by water. The park must be designed in English and decorated caves, rocks and waterfalls ... Dumas gives instructions and shall be designed according to his wishes. On 25 July 1847, the writer celebrates its moving in the presence of a crowd of friends, admirers and curious ....
- The Castle of Nemours.
The Castle of Nemours, is located in the town of Nemours in the south of Ile de France region, in Seine-et-Marne department.
The Castle is a fortress built in the twelfth century on the left bank of the Loing, at an ancient watchtower. This building is one of the few castles city, in Île-de-France, come down to us . Unlike the castles built at the same time, he escaped at the end of royalty with the relationship of the lords of de Nemours with it.
- The Castle of Neuville.
The Castle of Neuville is located in Gambais the Yvelines department.
The Castle of Neuville is the style of Henry III of brick and stone, built in the sixteenth century by Joachim Bellengreville, Prévot of the Grand Hôtel du Roy.
Josiane Sartre in his book "Brick And Stone Castles In France" gives the plan to the French architect Jacques I Androuet du Cerceau.
In 1672 the domain became Marquisate of Neuville.
In 1690, Francis Nyert first valet of King Louis XIV, Governor of Limoges and the Louvre acquired the estate became Marquisate Gambais.
- The Town of Provins.
Provins is a French town located seventy-seven miles south-east of Paris, sub-prefecture of the department of Seine-et-Marne in the Île-de-France.
It is the chief town of the district and township. Its inhabitants are called Provinois.
Provins is listed since 13 December 2001 on the World Heritage List of UNESCO.
According to legend, his name would Provins vines Probus ("vinum Probi"): Probus, while Roman general would have stopped in the city to 271. Became emperor (276-282), he took measures to allow the cultivation of vines in Gaul, thereby canceling the edict of Domitian issued nearly two centuries earlier.
- The Castle of Saint-Jean-de-Beauregard.
The beginning of the construction of the castle dates from 1612, at the request of François Dupoux, advisor to the King. A new castle was built in place of the ruins of Montfaucon which faced the old castle of Montlhery. The new lord of the places asked Louis XIII substituting the name of Montfaucon, sinister fame, Beauregard.
- The Castle of Saussay.
The castle of Saussay is a French Castle located in the town of Ballancourt-sur-Essonne, in the former province of Hurepoix today Essonne and the Ile-de-France, thirty-seven km south of Paris.
Property Olivier Le Daim, barber to Louis XI in the fifteenth century, the Spanish are burned the Castle in 1592 during the wars of religion.
Owner of Henri IV obtained by letters patent, permission to surround of water the castle rebuilt it in the style of Louis XIII (brick and stone). Property of Mgr de Gaumont, parliamentarian, he was transmitted by the women of Bragelongne families, Canclaux and Colbert in the early nineteenth century.
- The Castle of Sceaux.
The domain of Sceaux extends on municipality of Sceaux and Antony, it now depends on the General Council of Hauts-de-Seine.
The park was drawn by André Le Nôtre at the end of the seventeenth century at the request of Colbert and his son the Marquis de Seignelay. On several occasions this park almost disappeared. During the Revolution, he was transformed into a school of agriculture and all that beauty was gone. In the early nineteenth century the castle was destroyed after the area had been sold as national property.
- The Castle of Théméricourt.
The Castle of Théméricourt is located in the town of Théméricourt in Val d'Oise department.
The Castle of Théméricourt, probably built by Philip Théméricourt in the second half of the fifteenth century and retains its original plan to two main buildings arranged in a square and flanked by four turrets topped with pepper-pot roofs. This plan addresses the concern angle reject common in isolated buildings.
- The Castle of Thoiry.
The Castle of Thoiry is a renaissance castle located in Thoiry, in Yvelines department, at fifty kilometers of Paris.
From 1559, Raoul Moreau († 1583), treasurer of the thrift of King Henry II then intendant of the finances, command to the master mason Olivier Ymbert, from Saint-Léger-en-Yvelines and worked a few years ago to Rambouillet, building a castle Thoiry, on a site occupied since the twelfth century.
- The Domain and the Castle of Villarceaux.
XII-XIIIth Century, the domain of Villarceaux located a valley in the heart of Regional Natural Park of French Vexin came down to a fortified settlement that had all the characteristics of the fief aristocratic of the former regime.
XVth Century, the Domain, which is part of the line of defense of the kingdom of France was rebuilt in stone. This is how the castle of down is fortified.
XVI th Century, the field grows and becomes a vast agricultural property but also a residence pleasures, flukes become ornamental ponds, multiple sources fueling fountains.
The Castle of Vincennes is a fortress in the town of Vincennes, east of Paris, France, built from the fourteenth century to the seventeenth century. It is the largest French royal castle, and the height of the tower, 50 meters, it is one of the highest plain fortresses in Europe.
The castle is not to be confused with Fort Vincennes neighbour.
The fortress is located near the capital, about 8 km from the Ile de la Cité. Unlike most castles, it is not located on a hill, a hill or on top of a cliff, but on a limestone plateau. It is not close to a river, just a small stream, the "ru de Montreuil", stream down tray Montreuil which fed the moats that the overflow would then go to Paris and threw in Lake Saint-Mande.
The Castle of Voisins is a Castle built between 1903 and 1906 in Saint-Hilarion, in Yvelines department, by the architect René Sergent and the landscaper Achille Duchêne
There are traces of Visiniolo (Voisins) in the precept of King Pepin 768, conceding to the monastery of Saint-Denis forest of Yvelines, which Rumbelitum (Rambouillet) of a family of that name in the thirteenth century.
The world of Castle, the tourism; http://chandt.blogspot.fr/2011/08/chapter-i-world-of-castle.html
- Portraits of Castles
- Castles, Castles-Fortress-Dungeons
Your itineraries, your transports; http://chandt.blogspot.fr/2013/04/itineraries-and-transport.html