The castle of Dourdan is a French fort in the French town of Dourdan, in the former province of Hurepoix in the department of Essonne and the region Île-de-France, forty-six km south-west of Paris.
In X century, Dourdan was one of the strongholds of Hugh the Great, who built a wooden puppet, located few hundred meters northwest of the current château, where he died in 956. The construction lasted long enough for Louis VII (1120-1180), made her say, one of his residences hunting.
Between 1220 and 1222, a new castle was built at the request of Philippe Auguste to the location of the Capetian castle. Most successful castle of Philippe Auguste, it incorporates the features of Philippians castles of the time, similar to castles or Angers Gisors and to a lesser extent in the Louvre. Characteristic of the military architecture of the time, it was built on a square plan, protected by corner towers and a dungeon alone. The castle was surrounded by a moat that separated the dungeon also.
In 1240, Louis IX gave it to his mother Blanche of Castile in 1260 and his wife Margaret of Provence. This was followed by an appointment hunting for Philip the Bold and Philip the Fair in 1307, who gave his brother the Count of Evreux.
Read More... http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Dourdan