Sunday, 17 February 2013

The Castle of Blandy-les-Tours

The castle of Blandy-les-Tours, a medieval fortified castle is located in the town of Blandy-les-Tours in the department of Seine-et-Marne,near the castle of Vaux-le-Vicomte. 
The castle is located in the heart of the village of Blandy, since his acquisition by the General Council of Seine-et-Marne, he has been the subject of several campaigns restoration.The history of the castle began in the texts in 1216. It belongs to the Viscount of Melun Adam II ("Chailly") which reduced it to a manor at pregnant irregular.

In the fourteenth century, the castle was heavily modified with new fortifications and defensive structures: a ditch is dug and a gate-tower with drawbridge at arrows is drilled in the wall of the pregnant, the Kings Charles V (1364-1380) and Charles VI (1380 to 1422) finance the successive owners of the castle,the Earl of Tankerville Jean II and his grand-son William IV,to built the facilities of the castle. A dungeon, defended by two drawbridges, was built. The enclosure is amended by adding new towers and new curtains. All these changes take place during the Hundred Years War. However,the castle of Blandy-les-Tours was enlarged in the sixteenth century by Francesco II d'Orléans-Longueville. The castle becomes an abode of pleasure. Marie of Cleves married there in 1572 in the presence of the future Henri IV.But the castle has often changed ownership and and gradually deteriorates. In 1707, Marshal Villars, owner of Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte, bought the land and the castle of Blandy.The annex buildings of Vaux-le-Vicomte having suffered a fire, the marshal decides to use the castle of Blandy for the reconstruction of the annex buildings .Not only, he make pollard all medieval towers and he parlay the woodwork at Vaux, but he pulled down the the walls connecting to fill the ditchs.
The castle was transformed into a farm which accelerates his ruin.The roofs of the main buildings collapse,the parapets are destroyed,the great gate tower gutted to enlarge access.


 The Town

Itineraries and transport

Chapter I, the world of Castle


No comments: