In 1754, Claude Mérault, lieutenant of the king, lord and Gif and Frileuse, began building a castle to replace his former stately home. From 1756 to 1771, Pierre Desmaisons, architect of the king, enlarged the building, adding two wings to the central body, while the landscape Pillet is responsible for designing the park, inspired by Le Nôtre. The interior of the building includes wood, ice, comfortable and elegant lounges. In 1771, Pierre-Charles Debonair, Baron de Forges, Attorney at Grand Council, becomes the heir viscounties Gif and Châteaufort. After his death in 1788, his family left at the castle during the Revolution.
The Castle, now a property of the CNRS.