The name royal cities was established in June 1997 by the Network of the royal cities of Ile-de-France, in partnership with the Regional Tourism Committee, which were then combined and Etampes Dourdan.
Azure three fleurs de lys in gold, silver to the chief in charge of a two-headed rooster issuant au naturel.
Versailles is a French commune, located in the department of Yvelines and the region Île-de-France. Artificial city, created out of whole cloth by the will of King Louis XIV, Versailles was the seat of political power for a century, from 1682 to 1789 before becoming the cradle of the Revolution.
After losing its status as a royal city, it became the capital of a department of the Seine-et-Oise in 1790 and that of Yvelines in 1968, and a bishopric. Today a city of residential and commercial suburbs of Paris, known especially for its castle and its gardens, national museum, monument in the world heritage list of Unesco and leading tourist destination ...
The city in the 19th century:
Fontainebleau est située au sud-est du département. La commune, qui s'étend sur 17 205 hectares, est la plus vaste de la région Île-de-France, et est presque entièrement recouverte d'une forêt qui s'étend également sur quelques communes limitrophes (25 000 hectares au total). Cette forêt est un lieu de promenade pour les Parisiens, mais surtout son relief très accidenté et ses nombreux rochers en font un lieu très réputé pour la pratique sportive de l'escalade.
Greater melunaise is at the northern edge of the forest, and north-west there is Barbizon, a village famous for the many impressionist painters who spent their lives. Various parts of the forest are covered with silica (quartz) in the rough. Many softwood plantations conducted by the National Forest have been criticized by some who feel it has undermined the diversity of its ecosystem, rather originally based hardwood ...
For further ...
History of the city in the 19th Century:
Party to the dexter half of sand to saltire money moving partition, sinister trio in fess, with a golden deer bypassed the natural, two mouths to ram silver and three silver oak Vert; in abyss blue with three golden lilies broke a stick died Gules
Rambouillet is one of the sub-prefecture of the Yvelines, in the south of the department and in the heart of the Île-de-France.
Medium-sized city surrounded by forest with the same name, located 50 km southwest of Paris, Rambouillet is in the center of a vast common with 20 000 hectares of forest and 500 ha of farmland.
The current mayor is Gérard Larcher, former Minister for Employment, Labour and Professional Integration of Youth in Government Dominique de Villepin. He regained his seat in July 2007 in place of Jean-Frédéric Poisson (UMP-FRS) and re-elected in the first round of the 2008 municipal election.
Its inhabitants are called Rambolitains, its colors are green and white.
The town of Rambouillet is located on a wooded plateau about 160 meters above sea level, where many streams originate feeding the rivers that radiate around the massif of Rambouillet. This is especially true of Guéville Trib to Drouet, who rises in the castle grounds ...
For further ...
The city in the 19th Century:
Azure cradle fleurs de lys in gold, in chief a fleur de lys and the same point of that date: 5 7bre 1638, as gold.
These arms allude to the birth of Louis XIV in the city.
It's a city of history and culture birthplace, including King Louis XIV. His castle and his terrace designed by Le Notre in Paris, overlooking the valley, is one of the most beautiful residences of the kings of France. Molière created there the troop of the King in 1665. Oak trees dating from the reign of Louis XIV can be seen in the forest, the jewel of our city, which extends over 3500 ha.
This rich history is not the only attraction of our city firmly focused on innovation and characterized by its quality of life.
From the earliest times, the region has been inhabited since the conditions are favorable, fertile soil, forests full of game, fish abundant in the Seine ...
The centuries pass: Gallo-Roman and Merovingian succession, particularly in the small valley of Ru Buzot, located west of the city. The family of St. Erembert saw in the seventh century, and St. Leger undergoes his martyrdom in 678. It is to atone for that crime Clotaire III had built a small shrine, around which are grouped a few houses. The place is now called "money-Saint-Léger".
When Robert the Pious the throne in 996, the love of hunting in the forest attracts Laye and he ordered the construction of a monastery in honor of Saint-Germain in Paris, in lieu of the current church of Saint-Germain.
For further ...
The city in the 19th Century:
Gules, the crenellated tower of gold flanked by two towers in the shape of the same gate, the tower opened at perforated sand and charged with an escutcheon azure three fleurs de lis gold, broken in heart of a suburban strip club Gules charged with three silver lions
Etampes (pronounced [e.tɑp]) is a French commune located at forty-nine kilometers southwest Paris, sub-prefecture of the department of Essonne, in the Ile-de-France. It is the capital of the district and township and the headquarters of the community of communes of Étampois.
Fortified royal city since the Middle Ages, county and duchy given peerage became confined to three favorite time to time, stick to label countries and cities of art and history, Etampes reign Étampois always on the borders of the city Paris and the broad plains of Beauce. Principal city of southern Essonne, the crossroads of routes, it radiates economically and culturally in all villages and mark on the national highway 20 south entrance of the Ile-de-France, as before the royal domain. Crisscrossed by many rivers, it is sometimes called the "Little Venice" . In a letter to his daughter Leopoldine dated August 22, 1834, Victor Hugo described it thus: "Stamps is a large tower on the right interview in the dusk above the rooftops of a long road . "Common retaining its original charm, it served as the backdrop for various films.
Its inhabitants are called Étampois.
Gules, a tower of two towers standing on a walkway flanked by two watchtowers, all silver, lace and masonry sand, placed on a berm as money and supported by three ball poorly ordered the same to the Head sewn azure fleurs de lys gold
Currency: liliis lapidibus fama justitia (justice of the lilies, the fame by the stones)
Vincennes is a city of France, located in the Val-de-Marne in the eastern suburbs of Paris. Its name, by metonymy, the Bois de Vincennes, located south of the city, but that belongs to Paris. Vincennes is famous for the castle of Vincennes, who was behind the founding of the city.
The foundation of the city of Vincennes dates from the twelfth century, and is due to Louis VII, who came to hunt big game in the forest, and decided to build on the site of the existing house a palace of rest. Philip Augustus, his son and successor to the throne, enlarged the house and surrounded by a wall of the forest, he hunts reserved. A chapel was built, the chapel of the Pissotte by reference to the streams that descend from Montreuil. But really Vincennes became a major city in the reign of Louis IX, dit Saint-Louis, who liked to stay in the manor of Vincennes, made his judgments under the famous oak of the forest, and above him from his two crusades 1248 and 1269 in Vincennes. Philippe VI was the first great builder king, as the fortified manor, and decided to build the huge central keep of the castle in 1337. Charles V completed the tower in 1373, and above decided to build its huge fortifications, consisting of nine laps. In fifteen years, Charles V realized the most important military architecture from all over Europe in the fourteenth century, the castle of Valois, which is still intact today.
In 1420 the British occupation began, following the Treaty of Troyes, with the regency of King Henry V of England, who died in 1422. In 1436, Paris and Vincennes were released from the British presence. Later, Francis I complete the building of the Sainte-Chapelle, completed in 1552 by the architect Philibert de l'Orme. Cardinal Mazarin designed for ten years several projects to Vincennes and its castle, before he died in 1661. After the death of Mazarin, Louis XIV did not came to Vincennes, the court had then been transferred to Versailles.
At the end of the seventeenth century, paradoxically the city of Vincennes grew with the king's departure. The farmers settled on land made. In 1667, the Archbishop of Paris created an independent parish, the parish of Pissotte, which marked the real independence of the city vis-à-vis Paris. Was created in 1740 the porcelain manufactory of Vincennes, which was supported by careful Madame de Pompadour, the mistress of King Louis XV, before being transferred permanently to Sèvres in 1756. In 1790, the parish became the town of Vincennes
In 1929, the town of Vincennes lost half of its area following the annexation of the Bois de Vincennes by the city of Paris.
Azure fleurs de lys gold
Currency: Mount Joye St. Denys
Saint-Denis is a French commune, located in the department of Seine-Saint Denis and the Ile-de-France.
Its inhabitants are called the Dionysian: the Latin Dionysius says Denis, a derivative of the Greek god Dionysus.
Between the Porte de Paris and the Basilica, the park of the Legion of Honour House extends the education of the Legion of Honour, which occupies the buildings of the Abbey. The park was once part of the domain of the abbey before being reserved for girls of the Legion of Honour, and then becoming partly municipal park in the 1970s.
Apart from the inevitable Basilica of St. Denis, flanked by Pierre de Montreuil garden, the old center is home to several monuments of interest: Town Hall, Church of St. Denis of Estrée, Royal Abbey, porch Ursuline Convent, the Humanity newspaper's headquarters, designed by Oscar Niemeyer ...
Largest market in the Ile-de-France Tuesday, Friday and Sunday mornings, the market hall reopened in late 2006 after renovation. She now has a system for recovering rainwater for cleaning after the market, and solar panels for lighting.
The town center is pedestrian since March 11, 2005.
A historical journey in 20 stations, between the Basilica and Stade de France, gave the keys to the city's history.
The metro station Basilica Saint-Denis is in correspondence with the tramway T1, near a city supermarket.
For further ...
Audio guide describing the Basilic Saint-Denis:
697 First known mention of the city: "Mairilacus" edge of the forest Cruys.
1087 Marly includes "Marly-le-Bourg" with its priory and "Marly-le-Chatel" with its church and castle. Marly has long belonged to the lords of Montmorency.
1676-1693 Louis XIV bought Marly-le-Chatel and Marly-le-Bourg. He built the castle and the park in 1679.
The 1745 "Horse of Marly", works of William Coustou, are installed above the trough. They will be transferred to Paris in 1794.
1789 In June 1789, Louis XVI is often at Marly.
1794 is named Marly Marly-la-Machine and keep until 1814.
1799 Domaine was sold to an industrial Sagniel, who set up a textile factory.
1806 The Emperor Napoleon I refuse to buy the castle was demolished stone by stone, leaving the park in the administration of water and forests. The charm of the village attracts Impressionist painters, poets, writers, sculptors and other artists.
Part of the nineteenth century the forest became a royal hunting ground and then president.
By 1932 the Historical Society of Old Marly, Marly Park is a historical monument and the area declared president. De Gaulle stayed there a few months in 1946 after leaving power.
1956-1958 Construction of Grande-Terre: residence type group designed by the architect Lotz. The arrival in the neighborhood of 6000 inhabitants doubled the population between 1958 and 1964 Marly.
1966 Inauguration of the College Louis-Lumière.
1972 Construction of the field Montval: built between 1968 and 1972, this set of 16 ha has nearly 5000 inhabitants.
1982 Inauguration of the Musée-Promenade de Marly-le-Roi-Louveciennes.
The 1985 Horse of Coustou (castings) find their way to the trough.
1990 Inauguration of the Lycée Louis de Broglie.
1992 Inauguration of the new building of the College Louis-Lumière.
1997 1300th anniversary of Marly.
Let tell you the cities and countries of Art and History, by paths of cultural tourism (guided tours, guided discovery, Expos, Animations, etc ...)
Virtual tours of castles
The Castle of Condé
Château de Férrières
The Castle of Versailles
The Castle of Vaux-le-Vicomte
The Castle of Fontainebleau
The Castle of Houssoy
The Castle of Brou
The Castle of Voisins
The Castle of Blandy les tours
A path near another castles...
"Association un chemin Historique et Touristique en Ile-de-France":
The website of the Association:
- The Bank of pictures and datas :
Another Castles in Ile-de-France
Castles in Links
The Ile de France in Pictures
The Renaissances, Classics and Baroques Castles
The encyclopaedia of French architectural heritage
The finest buildings of France
The treasure of Parisian Heritage