Saturday, 6 August 2011

Histories of Castles

L'ile de France, as France, moreover, is littered with castles, hunting lodge or summer, historic monuments that we do not imagine or little. Each of them out has a story, its own history so dear, that we do not know, that we do not perceive little or ...
Here are a few ....

- Andrésy:

The town of Andrésy since the time has hosted three castles:

The Castle of d'Andresy, The Castle of Maurecourt, The Castle of Fay.

The Castle of Fay:

We tracked down Merovingian and Carolingian graves during the creation of the railway line "Paris-Mantes".
The town of Andrésy is acquired at that time by the Archbishop of Paris. The name of the hamlet of Morcourt then mentioned for the first time in their registry.
Glatigny Castle (castle with chapel) was built with its water mill on a branch of the Oise.
Blanche de Castille, mother of St. Louis made ​​numerous retreats Carrières sous Poissy, a village adjacent to Andrésy.

Fourteenth century to the French Revolution
During the siege of Paris in April 1590, Henri IV had delivered his famous phrase "Paris is worth a mass" at the hunting lodge of Andrésy.
At the court of Louis XIV, we appreciate the wine Andrésy better known as the "ginglet".
The Revolution of 1789 allows the separation of long claimed Maurecourt and Andrésy.

Additional description of the map of the Yvelines department archives of the municipality of Andrésy:

Area, 54 Ares land. Elements of Surveying (triangulation, distances, boundaries, landmarks). Limits of the parish highlighted in red. Color scheme to differentiate the type of crop and soil. Buildings highlighted in red (relief roofs). Church Andrésy (black line) shown in perspective (and cock bell). Castle Andrésy (gray) with park, part of an island. Careers in the south of the village. Château de Choisy with outbuildings, park, kitchen garden, dovecote. Castle Morecour with small park. Chateau du Fey (ditto). The hamlet of Morecour has a chapel.
On the Seine, downstream from its confluence with the Oise four islands
In line with the "Port of the end of the Oise": a tray (route
dotted line).

Orientation: compass rose line (north: fleur de lis).
Return of relief (brown).
The territory of Conflans "Mill late Oise"
rendered in perspective (mass, body of the mill, wings).

Signature of Surveyor: Duchesne.
Related documents:
Minutes of Survey: C 4.
(But it is dated November 4, 1782, while the plan refers to a pv. January 10, 1786).


The Town...

- Boulogne-Billancourt (92), the Castle of Madrid:

The castle of Bois de Boulogne, known as Madrid, was destroyed during the Revolution. It was a building of great originality and probably the most exuberant work of King Francis. The most curious consisted of large sheets of colored tiles, covering a large part of the exterior walls.

Read more....  The history of the Castle

The Town...

- Château-Landon, the ramparts, its history historic

Burned by King Louis VI in August 1111 following a flurry of ambition and audacity on the part of Hugh, Viscount de Chartres and the Puiset Sire, who at the age of 14 years would bring the King to destroy his own hands a castle, which locks the county of Chartres and prohibited the expansion, the county which belonged to his older brother. His elder brother Theobald and his mother, after devouring Hugues income of the clergy, canons, abbots, etc. ..., appealed to the king to stop his outbursts.


- Charenton-le-Pont, the Castle of Bercy:

The Castle of Bercy
The castle was built to the present town of Charenton-le-Pont (Val-de-Marne)from 1658 by Francois Le Vau for Charles-Henri de Malon de Bercy, Marquis de Nointel, intendant of finances in an exceptional decorated with a beautiful view of the Seine. The park extended to Paris and was built according to tradition, by André Le Nôtre.

On the death of Francois Le Vau in 1676, the castle was not finished. It was Jacques de La Guépière who undertook to complete the construction and expansion between 1702 and 1715. He built the outbuildings and stables, which were partially preserved (entrance pavilions of common: Nos. 109 and 114 rue du Petit-Château in Charenton-le-Pont, the street follows the route of the former lane section of the forecourt of the castle). Castle Bercy height was 10-16 rue Marius Delcher.

The park was subdivided in 1809 and the castle itself was destroyed in 1861. The woodwork, which were famous and are considered among the most remarkable rock art have been put together in various places. They are found at the Elysee Palace (No. 55 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore in Paris) and its annex, the Hotel de Hirsch (No. 2 rue de l'Élysée) at the Hotel de Boisgelin (Italian Embassy) No. 47 rue de Varenne, No. 50 rue des Archives, in Armainvilliers castle, the castle of Bizy Vernon (Eure) in the castle of Craon, and abroad.


The Town...

- Crouy sur Ourcq, the Castle of Crouy:

The City of Crouy-sur-Ourcq is located in the Canton of Lizy-sur-Ourcq district of Meaux, there were two castles in Crouy;

The Castle of Houssoy
A fortified house near the top end of fourteenth century, have its defenses (drawbridge with arrows housing, parapet with battlements), manor later, sixteenth century, of lesser height, designed for civilian more than military.

The Castle of Gesvres-le-Duc (CLMH) XVIIème s., attributed to F. Mansart.
Seven arches bridge spanning a very wide moat and leading to the entrance pavilion which suggests the opulence of the ancient castle, destroyed in the early nineteenth century

* The illustrations and texts from the book "Ile-de-France buildings known and unknown" by Pierre Thiebaut (Heritage Architect, Head of County Heritage Monumental de Seine-et-Marne) by Editions du Puits Fleuri.
"Ile-de-France buildings known and unknown" thank Wells Publishing Flower arrangements for their reproduction on the site.

The Town...

- Ermenonville, the Castle of Ermenonville:

When we arrive at castle of Ermenonville, This eye-catching is the prospect that emerges ... impression reinforced by the long narrow basin that ends in carefully around the castle ...

The castle was rebuilt in the eighteenth century on the foundations of the old fortress. She had a vital importance on the road from Senlis to Meaux, the gateway to this area of wetlands ...

It is a castle that is modern with an innovative layout for the time, a monumental staircase in the right wing ... the decor is classic: If the medieval towers have been preserved, the fourth side was opened to clear the view from the courtyard whose majesty is just underscored by a simple lawn ... no need for decoration!

At the end of the alley, a grid reinforces the impression of elegance that emanates from all...

But in the eighteenth, which is famous for Ermenonville is the passion that dedicates its owner for the gardens: new gardens like those he discovered on his travels ... Ermenonville, thanks to the talents of Rene Marquis de Girardin, becomes the "most beautiful garden in the world" ...

We just all over Europe to see these wetlands have become gardens, where nature seems to take up some freedom ... Jean-Jacques Rousseau was instrumental in shaping this remarkable space ... His tomb is located elsewhere on the island of Poplars ...


The Town...

- Le Puiset, the Castle of Puiset:

It was two miles west of Toury, from there to the village of Janville. It was a vast enclosure of 8 Ha defended by a ditch and an earth, flanked by a truncated mound, a mound. Queen Constance, widow of Robert the Pious, had done in 1031 in the édifeir stryle major public forterresses to defeat his son, King Henry I, she did not like and that she wanted to substitute the throne, his younger brother Eudes.

In this vast enclosure of the king that he had received a fief, the lords Puiset had constructed a smaller castle appealed to 1Ha about another moated wall and a mound topped by a wooden tower.

- La Roche-Guyon, the Castle of La Roche-Guyon

On the right bank of the Seine between Vetheuil and Giverny, the Chateau de La Roche-Guyon is still seen as sentinel to the steps of French Vexin.
The first castle, entirely carved into the cliff, was invisible to enemies. Built in the late 12th century, the dungeon was connected to the castle through a secret passage (the underground stairs - 450 steps carved into the cliff, some of which are over 30 inches high - is also a loft access that housed more than 1,000 pairs of pigeons). Protected on the board by two speakers spur, it was truncated by two-thirds of its height.


The Town...

- Maisons-Laffitte, the Castle of Maisons:

Located in the town of Maisons-Laffitte, the Castle of Maisons is considered the masterpiece of François Mansart.
This monument, built to René de Longueuil, is characterized by the unity of his body building. It consists of a central main building which are brought against two large pavilions, preceded courtyard, two terraces and pavilions lower of two thin garden gates.
This work is a remarkable achievement of harmony of forms. Volumes, peak gradually towards the center, are articulated in a pyramid around the central front.
The facades are decorated by a superposition of the orders, Doric on the ground floor, Ionic on the 1st floor and Corinthian on the upper floor. They offer a mix of fluted columns and pilasters.
Elegant slate roof is covered and lined with tall chimneys.
Lawns and gardens were also designed by Mansart. They surround the castle built on a platform surrounded by dry moats.
A few years later, Mansart complete the masterpiece by the construction of houses stables and entrance pavilions.


The Town...

- Nogent sur Marne, Beauty on Marne:

The Castle was a royal castle near Vincennes, in the territory of the present town of Nogent-sur-Marne.

The Castle of Charles V:

Charles V, seeking the quiet away from the court official Vincennes Beauty fully restored in 1373. Past the drawbridge and the wall, you enter a garden where he built a fountain. The mansion is a large tower where each floor is a room. On the first floor is the room where the Evangelists layer the king. There is also develop its library. The second floor is another bedroom with a altar to say mass. The set is refined, well demonstrated by the 62 tiles, composing a set of literature, which were found during the construction of the railway and are now deposited at the Musée Carnavalet in Paris.
It should be noted that nothing is built to accommodate the queen, to whom Charles V in 1375 bought the manor of Placentia (which gave its name to the town of Neuilly-Plaisance) held by his brother the Duke of Burgundy. We also know that the Duke of Anjou, another brother of the king, had built another mansion near Beauty. But this one, we have absolutely no trace.

In 1378, Charles IV of Luxembourg, Holy Roman Emperor comes to visit her nephew Charles V. Diplomatic visit since the British are to resume hostilities, and Christianity is seen affluent of two popes. It is therefore to strengthen the alliance between the two monarchies, standing, the house of Luxembourg was of French ancestry.
A manuscript in the Bibliothèque nationale de France shows Charles V, King of France, inviting the emperor Charles IV and his son Wenceslas IV, King of Bohemia

The Emperor is the mansion of Beauty January 12 to 16, and Charles V, remained at Vincennes, visit daily:

"In beauty fu Emperor and the King several days every one day and visit the secret Aloita were speaking at length," writes Christine de Pisan.

The two men exchange gifts and luxury of the rings, then 16, accompanies his uncle Charles V who was going back to the mansion of Piacenza.
Charles V died on September 16, 1380 Beauty and the mansion fell into oblivion.


The Town...

- Noisy-le-grand, l'Hôtel de Beauvais:

Currently the service of cultural heritage in Seine-Saint-Denis

On July 11, 1380, Isabelle de Valery, Lady of Villefranche and Bry-sur-Marne, said to have him from the monks of Saint-Martin-des-Champs, "a hostel called the hostel of Beauvais, an old mansion side with house, barn, yard, containing three acres in land, vineyards, gardens where there is a tree bearing fruit, with an old fish pit ". Mentienne 1919 reported "there are still underground structures of the old manor house, beyond the existing building [the school's 20 rue du Docteur Elder], near Villiers [ie south-west], a steps it is about ten meters. "The card Delagrive (1740) contained in this site a wide range of buildings organized around two courtyards separated by construction perpendicular to the street. The southern courtyard is bordered by two buildings in L, one of which protrudes to the rear, which is probably the residential portion. The northern courtyard is surrounded by three main buildings that happy to identify common. On the map of Cassini (1756), the place was named the Big House and is associated with the pictogram shown castles. In the absence of other sources, we can question the relevance of the location proposed by Mentienne on the basis of remains difficult to interpret, although it is true that Saint-Martin farm is located just opposite, across the street from Dr. Elder.


The Town...

- Saint-Maur, the Castle of Saint-Maur:

The castle of Saint-Maur was initiated in 1541 by Jean du Bellay, Ambassador of France in Rome. This is the first major project of Philibert Delorme, then protected by the Lord. In 1547, the disgrace of Jean du Bellay interrupt the proceedings. It is taken in 1563 by Catherine de Medici, which is drawing up new plans. Only in the seventeenth century that the set is complete. In the eighteenth century, the castle fell into disrepair and the Revolution because of the last vestiges.


The Town...

- Saint-Porchaire, a beautiful story of Chateau de la Roche Courbon said castle of Sleeping Beauty:

Pierre Loti often went on holiday with her sister, based in St. Porchaire. During his walks through the countryside around, he fell under the spell of the castle of Rochecourbon, abandoned, in ruins,
among the bushes.
Taking advantage of his fame, the writer allowed to save the site and made ​​known the castle, he nicknamed him "the castle in La Belle au Bois Dormant, the beauty of wood sleeping "

Paul Chénereau bought then made to restore the area, restoring its former glory. It was his son and daughter who lived there, but both died recently (Jacques Baden in 2008, his wife in 2010).
Built in the fifteenth century on a rocky outcrop in the middle of the marshes, the castle was transformed into elegant home by Jean-Louis de Courbon, during
the seventeenth century. As the Marquis did not emigrate during the Revolution
French castle was not sold as national property. His daughter Charlotte married an aide de camp of Napoleon. Very extravagant, it will be ruined and
castle was abandoned for a hundred years.


Pierre Loti

The Town...

- Savigny sur Orge, the Castle of Savigny s/Orge:

When the lordship of Savigny happening in the area of ​​the crown, a fortified house in stone, surrounded by a moat, is substituted for the wooden castle. It is a time inhabited by Charles VII, which would, according to a tradition not certified, Agnes Sorel held a recluse in an isolated tower. Of the fortress built by Etienne de Vesc in a style half Gothic half revival, the remaining terms of square moat, the implementation of the four corner towers of brick, the tower-porch entry, crowned battlements of brick and stone, two L-shaped main building stone, and finally the two access bridge over the facades opposite the northwest and southeast. Fixed bridges, stone and wrought iron to a wood and wrought iron and the other, however, have replaced the old drawbridge.

(web site


The Town...

- Vigny, the Castle of Vigny:

Vigny 960 has been known by a charter of Hugh II - Archbishop of Rouen. Its name is derived from the Latin "Vinius" and probably originated Gallo-Roman.

Vigny is renowned for its magnificent Renaissance castle (listed in the Inventory of Historical Monuments - IMH) built in 1504 by the first George of Amboise, cardinal and minister of Louis XII, on the site of a former mansion. In 1555 it was sold to the constable of Montmorency, and in 1727 at Charles de Rohan, prince de Soubise. In the nineteenth century it was bought by Count Vitali who restored and enlarged. The castle received famous visitors: Charles VII and the future Louis XI in 1441, Louis XIII and Richelieu in 1634 in 1636. General Chouan Cadoudal took refuge in the castle in 1804 and Aimee de Coigny (heroine of the novel by Andre Chenier: the young captive). In 1813. Adolphe Thiers stayed there several times. In 1957, the Senate President Gaston Monnerville was greeted at the castle and the Abbot Fulbert Youlou to become the President of the Republic of Congo in 1960.

Sébastien Vaillant, surgeon and botanist, was born in Vigny (1669 - 1722) in the street that bears his name. Member of the Academy of Sciences, he studied the sexual system of plants. He was appointed Director of the king's garden where he installed the first heated greenhouses in France. Author of works on the functions of the stamens and pistil, he left us the most beautiful meadow in the world.

In the eighteenth century, the hamlet of Bord'Haut de Vigny was a major staging post on the road from Paris to Rouen. Since its inception in 2005, "College of Bord'Haut Vasseur Roland de Vigny" hosts over 460 students.


The Town...

- Villecerf, the Castle of Challuau or Saint-Ange:

Challuau was not far from Fontainebleau, built in the 1540s for the favorite of Francois I, Anne of Pisseleu. The king loved to go there with his family courtiers. The relationship to La Muette, Sait-Germain-en-Laye, or even Madrid is fairly clear. Substantially revised by Henri IV (1589-1610) for one of his mistresses, it is destroyed in the early nineteenth century.


The Town...

A path near another Castles..

- Somes Castles:

- Tourism Office:

- The Ile de France region in Pictures:

Virtual visit of castles:

The Castle of Condé

The Castle of Férrières

The Castle of Versailles

The Castle ofVaux-le-Vicomte

The Castle of Fontainebleau

The Castle of Houssoy

The Castle of Beauregard

The Castle of Brou

The Castle of Voisins

The Castle of de Blandy les tours


Association a path historic and touristic (un chemin Historique et Touristique) in Ile-de-France region:

The website of the Association:

No comments: