Saturday, 6 August 2011

Falaise, first Castle Normand in stone

The repair of the walls of the family castle of William the Conqueror in Falaise, Normandy, reveals that this ducal fortress has over 1000 years.
François Savatier

At 30 km south of Caen is the castle of Falaise, monuments that more than 40,000 visitors come to see each year. For 30 years, the mayor is working to develop it in collaboration with the Historic Monuments and the Regional Direction of Cultural Affairs (DRAC). Now the reconstruction of part of the ramparts company since 2007 has led archaeologists to the DRAC to uncover the series of three stone fortifications, the oldest of which dates from the late tenth century.

The total length is key to this equipment in opus piscatum (fishbone) parts of the wall: they are made of stone inclined at 45 degrees to the horizontal, then changing direction at each stratum. Discovered at the base of the wall, so in the very first speaker, tiny charcoal have been dated at 14 C between 960 and 1020. This finding is a feeling among medievalists, ensures Pierre Bouet, honorary professor at the University of Caen, as over 500 Norman fortifications of this period, only five were built of stone, lime and sand! At the time, the warriors stood dungeons of wood on top of a mound (a small artificial hill) or any natural promontory, surrounded by a palisade of wood, and possibly planning a backyard surrounded by another fence to allow commoners they were protecting the refuge. Located on a rocky outcrop between the valleys of the Ante and Marescot overlooking the town which has gradually formed at his feet, the castle of Falaise has exactly this structure, except that it was erected in early stone, and constantly changed.

When William the Conqueror was born in Falaise to 1027, a stone castle is already on the rocky outcrop overlooking the city. By 1110, after his death, his son and successor Henry Beauclerc there will build a large square keep of the Norman model (that of the Tower of London), flanking the Plantagenets then a second small square tower in 1150, and finally to 1204, ostensibly to make the return to Normandy to France, King Philippe-Auguste to add a third round tower, then on the French model. Thus, both the structure of the walls, as the dungeon of the castle of Falaise reflect the historical significance of this ancient royal and ducal castle.

Article taken from the site pour la,

A beautiful project that will revitalize the pomp of French royalty, the Art in Architecture!

Congratulations Mr Laurent Bouvet!!

To learn more about the project, a few words and links are available:

Project Rebuild St. Cloud is a project of economic self-financing (to see on Facebook), an economic, self-funded, part of a sustainable development approach.

Generating tourism flows - and therefore economic flows - the heritage is par excellence creates jobs directly and more indirectly, thus contributing greatly to the enrichment of a country.

This is why - especially in view of the Grand Paris - the reconstruction of the castle of Saint-Cloud is all the more as evidence that, located on the axis the most touristic of the planet .... Thereafter;

The project site created by Laurent Bouvet, President of "Rebuild St.Cloud!", "Reconstruisons Saint-Cloud"
27, rue Saint-Ferdinand
75017 Paris, Le projet sur Facebook:, Les amis du parc de saint-cloud:

No comments: