Tuesday, 16 August 2011

The cities of history to see, to visit

Musical accompaniment


Carrières-sur Seine is a city that was founded in 1137 by Abbot Suger.

Louis XVI will increase its power in the Ile-de-France with his minister Suger, a prominent figure of the time. Suger was born in 1081 into a family of "large small farmers related to the chivalry of the plain of France".

It was offered to nine or ten years as an oblate (child offered to a monastery to be educated there and associated with the service of God). In 1122, Abbot Suger is dedicated by the Archbishop of Bourges and Vulgrin unanimously elected to head the abbey.

The abbey of Saint-Denis was originally a monastery dedicated to the worship of the martyrs of the third century, Denis, Rustique and Eleutherius. Quickly acquired the imposing church, through the influence of its abbots, and Suger particular, a material and moral scale unprecedented for the political and administrative of France. It is during one of the Middle Ages, the effective seat of government and the city of Saint-Denis, the capital of the kingdom. It is thus all-powerful in matters of justice, police and economy in its area, which includes the city of Saint-Denis and all the towns and villages, as Carrières-Saint-Denis. Suger give the abbey full extent thanks to political and economic program he put in place which aimed to enrich it. The founding of "new town", whose career, after the program.

The founding document is dated 1137 Careers and begins: "On behalf of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen. Suger, by the Grace of God, abbot of the monastery of the blessed martyrs of Christ: Denys, Rusticus and Eleutherius. Whereas our predecessors did not leave, we believe that nothing or a very small part, to the Treasury of the Blessed Dionysius, formerly of income due to munificience of Kings, we gave the treasure, part of that, with God's help, we acquired and built the unanimous consent and advice of our Chapter » .


Chevreuse, In the heart of the valley ...

The Regional Natural Park of the Upper Chevreuse Valley
The park is part of the whole sedimentary Paris Basin. Its ecological and landscape are closely related to its geological features, but also to human activity past or present:

The South Park is the area where the forest is the present. This is the eastern part of the venerable Rambouillet forest, state forest managed by the National Board of Forestry. Like other large forests in the Ile-de-France, it is a secular heritage of high quality. Related to the life of the castle of Rambouillet, this beautiful forest area is crisscrossed with roads and intersections dating royal hunts. Forest always abounding in game, it regularly hosts hunts. North of the Park, the forests are much smaller and fragmented due to greater urbanization and the place of field crops. Sometimes they are reduced to very narrow bands separate from each other.
In the forests of the park, whether Méridon, Madeleine, Champfailly, Rhodon or Rambouillet, twenty species, mostly hardwoods, are everywhere, but before the spell, ash or maple, the tree is the oak king.

Water and valleys:

With 160 hectares of closed waters (lakes and ponds) and about 90 km of major rivers, water is everywhere in the country. Mérantaise, Yvette Pommeret, Rabette, meander through the countryside. Steep ravines, valley bottoms to linear woodlands, wet meadows, reed beds and grassy wasteland inhabited by many bird habitats are so valuable in the Ile-de-France.


Woodlands account for 40% of the territory of the Park. Nearly two-thirds belong to the private forest, consisting mainly of large estates of production but also hunting 115 sites of ecological interest have been identified based on the diversity and rarity of plant and animal species they support. In total there were 243 living species and more than 950 higher plant species.

Trays agricultural

Agricultural trays, based on a layer of sand covered with silt, creating wide horizons inspired by the silhouettes bâties.Les trays, never very extensive, enter the territory of the Park on all sides. agricultural area which covers about 40% of the territory of the Park.


Conflans Sainte-Honorine:

The name "Conflans" comes from Latin, confluent, confluence. The village received the name of "Sainte-Honorine" after 1200 when the relics of the saint have been there for 876.

Conflans-Sainte-Honorine is considered the capital of French skippers. Every year in June is celebrated a festival called "Pardon National inland waterways." On this occasion, a torch lit at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Paris down the Seine with a procession of boats up to Conflans to light a large cauldron placed in front of the war memorial located in the inland water transport Pointil, confluence of two rivers. A museum is dedicated to this activity.


Rueil-Malmaison is a French commune, located in the Hauts-de-Seine and the Ile-de-France. Its inhabitants are called Rueillois or Rueilloises.
Rueil-Malmaison is the largest municipality in the Hauts-de-Seine. Established on the left bank of the Seine, it is bordered by Nanterre, Suresnes, Saint-Cloud, Garches, Vaucresson, La Celle-Saint-Cloud, Bougival, Croissy-sur-Seine Chatou.

It has 520 hectares of green space is more than a third of its total area is 1454 hectares. This surface is divided between the forest of Malmaison (St. Cucufa wood) (201 ha), the natural area of ​​the valley of Gallicourts (200 ha) and the various public parks and gardens (107 ha).

The name of the city was first in the twelfth century, then Roialum Ruellium, Reuil, Ruel, Rueil since 1928 and Rueil-Malmaison (by ministerial decree).

The presumed origin of Rueil is a Celtic name Ritoialo (ritus, "the ford" and ialos, "the clearing") or Rialo (ri, "the creek" and ialos). The Celtic root-OSAB, "clearing", is found in many place names in-euil: Argenteuil, Verneuil, Neuilly. The addition of Malmaison, which can be distinguished from the town of Rueil-la-Gadelière (28), said the domain name became famous during the Consulate and the Empire. The origin of this name is not established, but it sometimes evokes memories of the atrocities on the Normandy area (of "Mala Mansio": house house of misfortune or bad).
The name of the city was first in the twelfth century, then Roialum Ruellium, Reuil, Ruel, Rueil since 1928 and Rueil-Malmaison (by ministerial decree).

The presumed origin of Rueil is a Celtic name Ritoialo (ritus, "the ford" and ialos, "the clearing") or Rialo (ri, "the creek" and ialos). The Celtic root-OSAB, "clearing", is found in many place names in-euil: Argenteuil, Verneuil, Neuilly. The addition of Malmaison, which can be distinguished from the town of Rueil-la-Gadelière (28), said the domain name became famous during the Consulate and the Empire. The origin of this name is not established, but it sometimes evokes memories of the atrocities on the Normandy area (of "Mala Mansio": house house of misfortune or bad).

- Château de Malmaison

- Château de la petite Malmaison

- Château du Bois Préau:

Mémorial Mont-Valérien

Saint Germain-en-Laye:

Saint-Germain-en-Laye is a French commune, located twenty miles west of Paris in the department Yvelines and the region Île-de-France.

The city of Saint-Germain-en-Laye has an ancient history and very rich, due to the presence of the castle, which was the residence of the kings of France until Louis XIV decided to leave for Versailles, and Forest, a former hunting ground of kings. It is now the seat of a sub-prefecture of the Yvelines and became a highly sought after residential town, marked the international character.

The inhabitants are the San or Saint-Germanois Germanois.
The municipality of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, located in the northeast of the Yvelines, is, with more than 4800 hectares, the largest of the department (the third in Ile de France after Paris and Fontainebleau). It occupies most of a loop of the Seine largely covered by the forest of the same name. The historic site of the city is located in the southeastern part of the territory, on the edge of a limestone plateau overlooking the Seine and about 60 meters from where the view extends over much of western Paris.

The surrounding communities are in Maisons-Laffitte northeast, Le Mesnil-le-Roi in the east, Le Pecq southeast, south Mareil-Marly, Fourqueux south-southwest, Chambourcy, south- West, Poissy west and Achères crown of north-west to north-northeast.
The municipality covers a limited set of steeply to the east, rising to 90 meters at the site of the castle. The edge of the plateau, evidenced in part by the terrace, corresponds to the boundary separating inter-Saint-Germain's Pecq, located down by the Seine. The plateau gradually descends westward from 50 to 60 feet at the edge of Poissy and north to about 25 meters in the agricultural plain of Achères. To the south, it is deeply cut by the valley of the ru Buzot, borrowed in part by the RN 13 and taken in by the line viaduct high belt, and goes significantly limit Mareil-Marly and Fourqueux to an altitude of 100 meters up the hill to Hennemont.
Panoramic view from the terrace of the castle, towards the east: - left the viaduct between the RER Saint-Germain-en-Laye and the Vésinet - Le Pecq, later, the bridge over the Seine from the A14 motorway and in the bottom of outlier forested Cormeilles-en-Parisis - in the center, the bridge Georges Pompidou Pecq and, on the horizon, La Défense - right on the horizon, and Mount Valerian the heights of Rueil-Malmaison, La Celle-Saint-Cloud, Louveciennes and Marly-le-Roi in the forest of Marly.


In 1740 a porcelain factory was founded at Vincennes tender, this substitute for true porcelain, hard porcelain itself, composed of kaolin to almost 75%, is coveted by European governments in the eighteenth century, as only Germany Europe had discovered early in the century, a deposit of kaolin on its soil. This is why King Louis XV looks quickly at the Manufacture de Vincennes, which was transferred to Sèvres in 1756 in buildings constructed specifically.

The resounding success of the Manufacture de Vincennes-Sèvres, accompanied by royal privileges, is the happy result of the conjunction between the excellence of those materials and know-how and taste inspired by modernity. The models are designed by renowned artists such as Francois Boucher, painter of the King, the first guest artist in 1749. Giovanni Claudio Ciambellano said Duplessis father, the King's goldsmith, is the creator of most forms from 1748 until his death in 1774.

In 1752, the sculptures are intentionally left bisque, unglazed and undecorated, to distinguish them from German polychrome sculpture in vogue and to relate it to the cold marble. Etienne-Maurice Falconet, in charge of the sculpture from 1757 to 1766, actively involved in the success of Sevres porcelain. In 1759, the king passed under the complete control of the young Crown Manufacture.

In 1768, two researchers at the Sevres factory discovered the first deposit of kaolin on French soil, near Limoges. Hard porcelain is priced at Sèvres in 1770.

At that time, the style changes from baroque to neo-classical, very present in the sculpture - from 1773 to 1800 led by Louis-Simon Boizot member of the Royal Academy - with allegories and mythological subjects. During the Revolution, inspired the iconography of the new patriotic themes.

History of the Manufacture:

History of the town:


Pierrefonds is a French commune, located in the department of Oise in Picardy

Its inhabitants are called Pétrifontains.

The motto of the town is: Who veult, peult

Pierrefonds is located in the southeastern edge of the forest of Compiègne on the ru Berne. The town is located about 80 km northeast of Paris and 15 km east of Compiegne.

Palesne is a hamlet which is part of the town of Pierrefonds.

The village center is located not far from Gallo-Roman ruins at Mount Berny. These houses were built at the crossroads of the Roman road from Soissons, Beauvais and Soissons Champlieu-Beauvais by the ford of Compiegne. The site is located at the border of the marsh that now cover the forest of Compiegne and marks the western boundary of Soissons that controls the Gallic tribe of Suessiones.

In the tenth century, the castle was destroyed. The new castle is built to the west near the forest on a hill. The village moved to his foot. The high is powerful, protects many monasteries and villages and feudal levies taxes.

In the eleventh century, under Nivelon I (died c. 1072), the domain includes part of the forest of Compiègne (then called Forest Cuise) and Retz, Chelles, Couloisy, Croutoy, Haute-Fontaine, Jaulzy, Saint-Etienne, Retheuil , Montigny-Landgren, Taillefontaine, Mortefontaine, etc..

Pierrefonds is the capital of the largest of six castellanies the duchy of Valois. King Louis XIII in 1616 dispatch a special corps commanded by Charles de Valois Pierrefonds to besiege, and Cardinal Richelieu demand the destruction of the castle.

It administers justice in Pierrefonds until March 1780, when it is transferred to Villers-Cotterets.

Boissy-saint-Léger to Yerres:

A few strides from the station, passing along the N19, the area of ​​Gros-Bois is home to the castle of the 13th century, Château de Grosbois , currently owned by the company Société d'encouragement of horse breeding French. It also hosts the Napoleonic Museum. The castle is open on Sundays and public holidays from 14h to 17h.
Nearby, large royal paths lead their steps towards the bowels of the field. Not far away, via the secondary road 941 or the trails of the estate, the Château de la Grange, now become a charming hotel in the name of Château du Maréchal de Saxe (group-specific hotels, symbols of France ) flanked by two quadrilaterals whose feet water area defensive around like a maze safely, the Château and its outbuildings, sits there in the middle of the woods.
A few kilometers from the historic building dated 18th century, the city of Yerres, hidden in a valley romantic leak their charm that looks sumptuous. Downtown at the foot of City Hall, the tomb of General de Gaulle is drawn here as a memory symbol of the city. City Hall, Beauregard castle of the 19th century built by Aurelian Benoiston in 1899, overlooks the city and Yerres.

The anectode:
"English gentlemen shoot first!"
... So behaved Marshal Saxe in the battlefield of Fontenoy in 1745. Its superb soldiers defeated the old enemy.
Louis XV grateful, gave him some privileges and Chambord, named after Marshal of France. So he offered the Château de la Grange that now bears his name.





The castle of Maréchal de Saxe:

The Castle of Grosbois:

Ancient castle of the Grange:

Interior of Castle of Maréchal de Saxe:


697 First known mention of the city: "Mairilacus" edge of the forest Cruys.

1087 Marly includes "Marly-le-Bourg" with its priory and "Marly-le-Chatel" with its church and castle. Marly has long belonged to the lords of Montmorency.

1676-1693 Louis XIV bought Marly-le-Chatel and Marly-le-Bourg. He built the castle and the park in 1679.
The 1745 "Horse of Marly", works of William Coustou, are installed above the trough. They will be transferred to Paris in 1794.
1789 In June 1789, Louis XVI is often at Marly.
1794 is named Marly Marly-la-Machine and keep until 1814.
1799 Domaine was sold to an industrial Sagniel, who set up a textile factory.

1806 The Emperor Napoleon I refuse to buy the castle was demolished stone by stone, leaving the park in the administration of water and forests. The charm of the village attracts Impressionist painters, poets, writers, sculptors and other artists.

Part of the nineteenth century the forest became a royal hunting ground and then president.

By 1932 the Historical Society of Old Marly, Marly Park is a historical monument and the area declared president. De Gaulle stayed there a few months in 1946 after leaving power.
1956-1958 Construction of Grande-Terre: residence type group designed by the architect Lotz. The arrival in the neighborhood of 6000 inhabitants doubled the population between 1958 and 1964 Marly.
1966 Inauguration of the College Louis-Lumière.
1972 Construction of the field Montval: built between 1968 and 1972, this set of 16 ha has nearly 5000 inhabitants.
1982 Inauguration of the Musée-Promenade de Marly-le-Roi-Louveciennes.
The 1985 Horse of Coustou (castings) find their way to the trough.
1990 Inauguration of the Lycée Louis de Broglie.
1992 Inauguration of the new building of the College Louis-Lumière.
1997 1300th anniversary of Marly.




At about 4 km southwest of Paris, this town is built on hills and south of a bend in the Seine. Archaeological sites show that Meudon has been populated since Neolithic times. The Gauls called this place Mole-Dum (dun), the Romans called Moldunum.

The parish priest of Saint-Martin was awarded in 1551 to François Rabelais.

In the sixteenth century Cardinal Charles de Lorraine was built Meudon a castle which was destroyed in 1803. The remains belong to an existing building erected by the Dauphin, son of Louis XIV that burned during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871.

The company of balloonists, established by the Committee of Public Hi and workshops organized by Chalais-Meudon, took the part that is known at the Battle of Fleurus (1794). On June 28, 1799, the Management Board, removes the company of balloonists. The School of Chalais-Meudon reopened under the leadership of Charles Fox and as the central institution of the Military ballooning in 1876.

On May 8, 1842, train derailment and fire in the Paris-Versailles. It was one of the first rail disasters in the world. At the time the doors were locked by the heads of trains, resulting in a terrible toll: 55 dead. Once the doors had to remain open on and this provision did not disappear until 2003. A French bishop gave a resounding sermon on the lesson that God gave to the arrogance of men, and saw a wrath of heaven against the railroads. Unfortunately for him, the same month, the Vatican is endowed precisely a train on the papal initiative of Pope Gregory XVI. Among the victims was Admiral Dumont d'Urville and his family. Among the survivors, the grandfather of Marguerite Yourcenar (story in Archives du Nord).


Ferrieres-en-Brie is a French commune of 1655 inhabitants located in the department of Seine-et-Marne and the Ile-de-France.
Ferrières-en-Brie is located 26 km east of Paris, the plateau of Brie, between the valleys of the Seine and Marne, near Bussy Saint-Georges, middle, and that the town of Torcy is the canton.
Its inhabitants are called Ferrobriards or more commonly Ferrièrois.

The castle and its grounds:

The field is located in Ferrières en Seine et Marne, between Lagny and Pontcarré. It covered over 3,000 hectares of woods, thickets, pastures, cultivated land, called to be, given the rapid expansion of the suburbs to the east, an ecological reserve, one of the lungs of the capital . All these lands had been collected with patience and premonition, from 1828 by Baron James de Rothschild, founder of the French branch of this illustrious family of bankers. On the site of the first castle that belonged to Fouche, Minister of Finance of Napoleon I, the baron built a residence which was to devote his upward mobility and financial supremacy. The provisions of this famous house had been studied both to house priceless collections of paintings, tapestries, art objects of all kinds, and to provide a framework for lavish parties. Jellyfish, which the guests were offered the pleasures of hunting expected to see flying pheasants all roasted and stuffed with truffles!

Old Castle of Ferrières-en-Brie belonging to the descendants of Fouche, Duke of Otranto, bought by James de Rothschild in 1829. Demolished and rebuilt from 1856 to 1863 by the architect and landscape gardener Joseph Paxton in the style of the Italian Renaissance (that is the only achievement of Paxton in France). Quadrangular flanked by square towers around a huge hall providing overhead lighting. Interior design by the painter Eugène Lami up in 1890 with other artists, like Charles Cordier, Thomas Gabriel, Alexandre Schoenewerk, Saint-Marceaux ... Alignments of the park made by Paxton. In 1862, a giant sequoia is planted in the park during the visit of Napoleon III. In 1959, after the occupation by the Germans during World War II, the castle was restored by Guy de Rothschild. In 1975, the area is given in the Chancellery of the Universities of Paris and became a meeting place and academic symposia.

Champs sur Marne:

Champs-sur-Marne is a French commune, located in the department of Seine-et-Marne and the Ile-de-France.

This medium-sized city has a pleasant living environment, in fact it includes about 50% of its area in space "green and blue" (wood and water bodies). The present castle , rebuilt in the seventeenth and eighteenth century, was inhabited by Madame de Pompadour. It became, under the leadership of President Albert Lebrun, one national palace purpose of residence of prestigious guests from France.

Its inhabitants are called Campésiens.

Located about 20 kilometers from Paris, Champs-sur-Marne is located on the side of a plateau near the Marne.

Wooded areas including the Bois de Grace and the Bois de la Grange, the surrounding greenery, the banks of the Marne and the park of the Chateau de Champs-sur-Marne has made ​​a nice town.

In addition, many ponds accentuate the ubiquitous nature in the city of the average crown.

La Ferté sous Jouarre:

Mentioned in the 12th, "Firmiter Ansculfi". Lordship of Bourbon-Vendôme, and of Bourbon-Conde. Rallying point of the Huguenots, the seat of a provincial synod in 1563, the city was taken by Mayenne in 1590, then conquered by Henry IV in 1591. Louis XVI stopped here back from Varennes. Church at the graduation of the prior of Reuil. Hotel-Dieu and former leper. Home of Antoine de Bourbon (1518-1562), king of Navarre, father of Henri IV, his brother Cardinal Charles de Bourbon (1520-1590), king of the Leaguers, the Marquise de Pompadour (1721-1764 ), the painter André Planson (20th).

The gates of the Brie and Champagne, La Ferte-sous-Jouarre, built on both banks of the Marne is located at the confluence of the Marne and the Petit-Morin.
World capital of grit, its landscapes are varied, hilly, wooded trails and offer many opportunities for large and small hikes.

Prehistoric and Ancient:
Gallo-Roman ruins of the Glacis Features.

Civil Architecture:
City Hall, 1885. Pavilion remaining castle of the early 17th Ille. Château de La Barre 15th. Castle of Bondons. Old bridge over the Marne. British Memorial 1928. Old water mills.

The history of the Town:



Center of an important monastery founded around 635 by St. Adon, brother of St. Ouen, with two neighboring communities of men and women. The first abbess was ste Telchide, niece of the founder. Originally subject to the rule of St. Columban, it adopted the rule of Saint-Colomban, it adopted the rule of St. Benedict and therefore experienced a great development. Suppressed during the Revolution, the community was restored in 1837 and currently has 80 nuns. Napoleon stayed in the Battle of Montmirail.

Civil Architecture:
Nolongue mansion in the hamlet of Villers-sur-Kidney, the former mansion of Jean de Brie, 14th, 15th and 16th: entrance pavilion flanked by two corner turrets (IMH), circular towers, watch towers, farm buildings. Bibartault Castle, rebuilt 19th on the site of a Templar Commandery. Castle built by the 18th Venteuil Aimé Magnus, Baron Obenheim, he belonged to the 19th botanist Jussieu, February 11, 1814 Napoleon of Venteuil observed after the battle of Montmirail: cranes in partition walls and facades, beautiful Cage stairs, "bank of Napoleon." Monument of the poet Jean de Brie, said the "Good Shepherd".

The history of the Town:



Famous for the cheese that bears his name, Coulsdon, crossed by the Grand Brasset Morinpropose his romantic ballads in a boat and retains traces of a rich past. Park of the Capuchins, with its ruins and the museum-chapel, the Commandery of Knights Templar of the thirteenth century overlooking the town and its amazing medieval garden, offer remarkable sites steeped in history.

The history of the town:



Lagny sur Marne has developed around the Abbey of Saint Peter. Founded in the seventh century, it is destroyed during the Norman invasions. With its reconstruction and radiation Lagny that knows its real boom ... Many times destroyed and rebuilt, the abbey was closed and sold to the Revolution before becoming the Town Hall.

The Counts of Champagne to establish a large Lagny fair and endow the city with imposing fortifications there are still some remains. The city, while successful, is partly destroyed by the Hundred Years War, which marks the beginning of the decline ... The nineteenth century was synonymous with the town of Lagny, startle economic and cultural development: the arrival of the railroad brought industrialization, and Groupe de Lagny, Neo-Impressionist painters including Pissarro, Peduzzi, Gausson ... gives the city a certain artistic and cultural dimension which we can add a sense of lightness, fantasy, sweet life ...

Surveying the city, you will enjoy the charms: the fountain Saint Fursy heart of the city, the marina for pleasant walks, home to five gears, memory fairs, or museum, Gratien Bonnet devoted to the local history and the Church of Our Lady of ardent in its green. Built on the site of a building that there are still some remains, the church was undertaken by the monks of the Abbey of Saint Pierre ... It is said that Joan of Arc would have raised a child for him to be baptized ... One of his six swords will be hidden ...

The history of the town:


Let tell you the cities and countries of Art and History, by the paths of cultural tourism (guided tours, guided discovery, Expos, Animations, etc ...)

Association a historic and touristic path in Ile-de-France, Un chemin Historique et Touristique en Ile-de-France:

- The web site of the Association:

- The Bank of pictures and Datas

Journey to the museums of France:
All museums

Tourisme, camping et location à Paris

Virtual tours of castles

Castle of Condé

Castle of Férrières

Castle of Versailles

Castle of Vaux-le-Vicomte

Castle of Fontainebleau

Castle of Houssoy

Castle of Brou

Castle of Voisins

Castle of Blandy les tours


A path to another Castles...

Other castles in Ile-de-France;

- Castles Story

- Castles Fortress on Line

- Castles build, destroyed in Ile-de-France

- Tourism office in Ile-de-France

- Historics towns in Ile-de-France

- The Ile-de-France in pictures

Medieval Music:














These cities are not classified by the Ministry of Culture under the appellation "City of Art and History"

No comments: